I’ve been at this blogging thing for more than five-and-a-half years. In that time, I’ve had some awesome opportunities come my way as a result.
- My second book—The Employer Bill of Rights: A Manager’s Guide to Workplace Law—is now available on Amazon. (More details on this next week.)
- My first book, which I co-authored with some friends—Think Before You Click: Strategies for Managing Social Media in the Workplace—remains available for download from Thompson.
- I’ve appeared too many times to count on Stephanie Thomas’s fabulous Proactive Employer Podcast, including my upcoming appearance next Thursday at 3 pm to promote The Employer Bill of Rights.
- I’ve done other radio appearances, including DriveThruHR and NPR.
- I’ve spoken at myriad seminars (thanks to SmartBusiness for my most recent speaking gig, an engaging panel on the legal risks of social media at this week’s Midwest Social Media Summit)
- And, I’ve been syndicated. In addition to reading my posts right here at the Ohio Employer’s Law Blog, you can also read many republished on Crain’s Workforce, under the byline, The Practical Employer.
This week, I’m adding another opportunity. For the past four years, I’ve edited Business Management Daily’s Ohio Employment Law Newsletter. Next month will be its last print edition. The publisher offered to continue our relationship online, and will publish my content in blog form. My newest blog, Business Management Daily’s The Legal Workplace, debuted yesterday. It will feature original content every other Thursday.
If I could just figure out how to clone myself, this would all become a whole lot easier.
Here’s the rest of what I read the past two weeks:
- Holiday Tale From A Jewish Guy Who Wears A Chai — from We Know Next
- Dislike of religious accommodations at work does not constitute a hostile work environment — from Warren & Associates Blog
- We’re More Passive Than We Predict When Sexually Harassed, New Study Shows — from EmployerBrief
- Employer Can Depose All 94 Claimants In EEOC Lawsuit — from Molly DiBianca’s Delaware Employment Law Blog
- You’re Damned if You Aid and Abet Discrimination or Interfere with an Employees’ Rights to Be Free of Illegal Discrimination — from damnedif
- Percentage of EEOC Sexual Harassment Claims Filed by Men on the Rise, But… — from Philip Miles’s Lawffice Space
- Not “Set for Life”: Boomers face layoffs, discrimination, and bullying at work — from Minding the Workplace
- Is Breastfeeding Bias the EEOC's Next Battleground? — from Employer Defense Law Blog
- The most blunt same-sex sexual harassment judicial opinion...evah! — from Eric Meyer’s The Employer Handbook Blog
- HR’s Dirty Little Secret – We don’t like to hire Vets — from Tim Sackett at Fistful of Talent
- The Bump In The Room — from the New York Post
Social Media & Workplace Technology
- Smartphone growth expected to slow again in 2013 — from Boy Genius Report
- Facebook activity did not support claim that employee solicited former employer’s clients — from Internet Cases
- AmLaw 2012 survey shows strong iPhone, iPad support at the most profitable law firms — from iPhone J.D.
HR & Employee Relations
- Are “90 Day Probationary Periods” for New-Hires Required By law? — from Texas Employer Handbook
- The Case for an Employee Rehire Policy: Coach Synder Effect — from Jessica Miller-Merrell’s Blogging4Jobs
- U.S. Supreme Court Holds that Arbitrator, Not State Court, Must Determine Enforceability of Noncompetition Agreement — from Russell Cawyer’s Texas Employment Law Update
- Transitioning from Employee to Shareholder: Businesses and Individuals Need to Pay Careful Attention to Noncompete Agreements — from Jason Shinn’s Michigan Employment Law Advisor
- How much does it cost companies to lose employees? — from Evil HR Lady, Suzanne Lucas
- Recording Rants — from Workplace Prof Blog
- Oversharing at Work: When Gossip Turns Into Something More — from Dan Schwartz’s Connecticut Employment Law Blog
- Flu + Crowded Office + Antibiotic Overuse = Disaster for Your Company? — from Mike Haberman’s Omega HR Solutions
- Taming the Workplace Bully — from Bloomberg Businessweek
Wage & Hour
- Holiday “Volunteer” Services Might Be FLSA Employment — from Wage and Hour Laws Blog
- The Culture Wars: Exempt vs. Non Exempt — from Robin Schooling’s HR Schoolhouse
- Overtime Pay Lawsuits On The Rise — from Overtime Lawyer Blog
- Are you Risking a Wage and Hour Lawsuit when Employees Volunteer? — from i-Sight Investigation Software Blog
- What!?! Time Caring for Mom in Las Vegas is FMLA Leave — from Jeff Nowak’s FMLA Insights
- Recordkeeping: The Often Overlooked Element of FMLA Compliance — from Stoel Rives World of Employment
- Is Your Company A “Large Employer” Subject to “Obamacare”—Understanding the 50 full-time Equivalent Threshold — from California Labor and Employment Defense Blog
- Petition for EFCA — from Labor Relations Institute
- The Wal-Mart Not-Strike by the Not-Labor Union — from LaborPains.org
- Mandatory Employment Arbitration Agreements and the NLRB: (DR) Horton Hears a “Who”? — from The Emplawyerologist
- NLRB Developments Post-Election – What The Future May Hold In Labor Relations — from Labor Relations Update