Watch this video, and then let’s talk:
The HR Capitalist, Kris Dunn, shared this video on his blog earlier this week. Believe it or not, the creator of this video, an online videogame company called Kixeye, actually uses this video for recruiting. Kixeye recently fired a manager and three other employees following complaints of racial harassment. Here’s Kris Dunn’s take on the synergy between the video and the harassment, which is 100 percent spot-on:
The question that's fascinating to me is if you can separate the way you market from the values you have as a company related to culture, people, etc.
What do you think? I think if he needed to fire people, he did the right thing. But the marketing platform suggests that the company doesn't exactly reinforce treating others with respect.
Rock - meet hard place. Pot - meet Kettle.
Folks, if this video is the message you send to employees on their way into the company, it is any surprise that they act like children, or worse, once they’re hired.
No WIRTW next week. In its place, I’m hosting the Employment Law Blog Carnival on Wednesday. There’s still time (but not much) to send me a link if you want your blog included.
Also, please remember that if you subscribe to my RSS feed, you need to re-subscribe at this link to ensure that you do not lose your daily updates.
Here’s the rest of what I read this week:
- Utilityman can't climb utility poles, but has ADA claim against utility company — from Eric Meyer’s The Employer Handbook Blog
- ADA news: Court upholds termination of deaf employee — from Warren & Associates Blog
- ADA Attorney: Agent of Change or Personal Gain? — from Stephanie Thomas’s Proactive Employer Blog
- Telework as a Potential Reasonable Accommodation — from Mike Haberman’s Omega HR Solutions
- Trouble for Employers - The Obesity Based ADA Claim — from Rob Radcliff’s Smooth Transitions
- Slap Happy Celebration of Work Accomplishment Not Severe or Pervasive Enough for Sexual Harassment or Retaliation Claim — from Employer Law Report
Social Media & Workplace Technology
- Is being a former lingerie model grounds for dismissal? — from Workplace Prof Blog
- Password Demand Laws - A Fallen Tree In An Empty Forest — from Social Media Employment Law Blog
- How to Get Fired for Facebook Posts — from Social Media Today
HR & Employee Relations
- Boomers, Stop Yelling at Gen Y to Get Off Your Lawn — from Harvard Business Review
- A Step-by-Step Guide to On-Boarding New-Hires — from ERC Insights Blog
- Synonym showdown: Which word works best? — from Ragan.com
- Employment Law Basics: Coping With the Fair Credit Reporting Act — from TLNT
- That Sniffly, Sneezy Time Of Year: Can You Require Your Employees To Get a Flu Shot? — from Stoel Rives World of Employment
- Enforceability of Noncompete Agreements Post-Merger — from Delaware Employment Law Blog
Wage & Hour
- FMLA Back Pay Includes Overtime — from Phil Miles’s Lawffice Space
- Intermittent Leave for Foster Care & Adoption? Only If Employer Approves — from Dan Schwartz’s Connecticut Employment Law Blog
- Jury charge quiz for Fair Labor Standards Act cases — from Work Matters
- Is Gold's Gym Out Of Shape? Company Hit With Collective Action On Off-the-Clock Time — from Wage & Hour - Development & Highlights
- Whiskey Bent and Hellbound: The NLRB May Target Employer Email Systems Next — from Employment Essentials
- NLRB is finding ways to implement its Employee Rights Notice posting, in spite of legal challenges. — from Employment Law Matters
- The NLRB Is Screwing Everything Up For Everybody. Seriously. — from Tim Eavenson’s Current Employment