As many of you know, last month my son spent 19 days in the Cleveland Clinic. Now that he is home and, most importantly, healthy, I thought we’d have a little fun, while at the same time providing an editorial on the ridiculously high cost of American medical services. It’s time to play Medical Costs Price is Right.
Here are the rules:
- Anyone who is 18 years of age or older, a legal U.S. resident, and has a valid email address is eligible to enter.
- Current KJK employees and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter.
- No purchase of anything (including legal services) is required to enter.
- Your bid will be for the total, non-insurance adjusted, cost of a 19-day inpatient stay at the Cleveland Clinic, including all procedures, doctors, tests, and labs:
- 19 days in the pediatric ward at the Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
- 1 endoscopy (with general anesthesia)
- 1 PICC line insertion (with general anesthesia)
- Professional fees for gastroenterology, surgery, cardiology, and hematology
- Emergency room fees
- 3 x-rays
- 1 ultrasound
- 2 echocardiograms
- 16 days of intravenous feedings
- Laboratory charges for blood work
- The closest bid that does not go over the total cost wins.
- Bids will be accepted until March 31 at 11:59 p.m.
- There are 3 ways to enter:
- Post a comment with your guess to this blog post. I will not accept any anonymous comments as an entry.
- Send a reply with your guess to @jonhyman on Twitter, using the hashtag #MedicalCostsPriceIsRight.
- Post your guess on the wall of the Ohio Employer’s Law Blog Facebook Page, also using the hashtag #MedicalCostsPriceIsRight.
- Each person is only allowed one entry total, no matter how the guess is submitted. I will disqualify anyone that submits more than one guess.
- I will reject any bids that do not follow these rules.
- The winning bid must provide a valid address within one week of my announcing of the winner. Otherwise, I reserve the right to select the next closest bid that did not go over the total cost.
- If no bids are submitted that do not go over the total cost, I reserve the right to select the closest overall bid to the total cost.
What will the winner get?
A box of KJK-branded Pro V1s and a KJK-branded water bottle (I never promised a car).
Good luck and happy bidding.