Today celebrates the life and message of one of our nation’s most important heroes, Martin Luther King, Jr. His remembrance suggests that we consider not only how far our race relations have come in the last half-century, but also how far we have left to go.
To reflect upon how far we have come, consider MLK’s famous “I Have a Dream” speech, one of the greatest and most significant pieces of oration ever delivered:
To consider how far we have left to go, you need only review a few posts from my archives, each of which illustrates that bigotry still pervades our workplaces and our society:
- Sadly, racism is alive and well
- Know when to fish, know when to cut bait
- Of course racism is wrong, but at least it gives me job security
- A chocolate cupcake by any other name…
- Federal court takes on the word “nigger” in a reverse race discrimination case