All of my earliest sports memories involve the 1980 Phillies.
Mike Schmidt's towering home runs.
Steve Carlton's unhittable sliders.
Bake McBride's hair. Pete Rose taking out Bruce Bochy at home plate.
Tug McGraw leaping off the mound after striking out Willie Wilson and sealing the Game 6 victory against the Royals. (It was the first World Series win for one of baseball's oldest franchises, ending its 97-year title drought, and is the defining sports moment of my childhood).
I'll be the first to admit that I've fallen off the Phillies train since their last playoff run ended in 2011. It's a combination of living in Cleveland for nearly 30 years combined with a decade of mediocrity.
Well, I'm back, baby! I've had an eye on the Phillies all season long, but with this month's dominant playoff run, capped off by Bryce's Bedlam at the Bank, I am all in for the Fightin' Phils!!!
If you're still on the fence of who to root for in the World Series, here are 8 reasons the Phillies should (must) be your pick over the Astros (one for each of the Phillies' 8 NL pennants).
- Philly is the underdog. 87 wins and the last team in vs. 106 wins and the best team in the American League. We're Rocky against Houston's Apollo Creed. Who roots for Creed to win?!
- No Philly = no baseball. Philadelphia is the cradle of our nation. Without Philly, there's no America. And if there's no America there's no need for America's pastime.
- The Philly Phanatic is the best mascot in all of sports. No debate. Case closed. (Sorry, Gritty.)
- The Astros win too much. This is their 4th World Series in the past 6 years. It's time for someone (anyone) new. Why not us?
- The Astros are a bunch of stinkin' cheaters. They cheated their way into winning the 2017 World Series and suffered no real consequences. Their bill is way past due, and the Phillies have come to collect.
- This Phillies team is what sports is all about. No prima donnas, just blue-collar attitudes and hard work until the last out. This team never quits and is crazy fun to watch.
- Cheesesteaks > tamales.
- Ted Cruz is an Astros fan. 'Nuff said.
Less Is More: Why Employers Should Consider Adopting a 4 Day Work Week — via The L•E•Jer
An Office Halloween Idea if You're a Truly Horrible Person — via Evil HR Lady
EEOC Introduces New "Know Your Rights" Poster — via HR Law Matters
Age Discrimination: Third Circuit Confirms Age Is Just a Number — via EntertainHR
Can an employer require you to be "sexually pure"? — via Ask a Manager
Drafting Restrictive Covenants Now Requires a Look at the Future — via Dan Schwartz's Connecticut Employment Law Blog
So you bought a brewery … to rebrand or not to rebrand? — via Craft Brewing Business
List of Common Passwords Accounts for Nearly All Cyberattacks — via Dark Reading