What lessons can employers learn from these few moments of late-night frivolity?
Many interview questions may seem innocuous enough, but create serious discrimination problems.
The following is just a sample of some exemplar questions that are problematic, as compared to legitimate questions to extract lawful information:
- When did you graduate high school?
- How old are you?
- How many years until you plan to retire?
- How many years seniority did you have at your prior company?
- Can you submit a birth certificate or other proof of age if you are hired?
- Are you over 18? [work eligibility]
National Origin Discrimination
- What county are you from?
- That is an interesting accent, where were you born?
- Where were you or your parents born?
- Are you eligible to work in the United States? [work eligibility]