Do you want to avoid harassment and retaliation liability at your company? Here are six easy steps to follow:
- Have a sexual harassment policy, which includes procedures for employees to complain about harassment.
- Train all employees on the harassment policy.
- Make sure your human resources manager knows the definition of sexual harassment.
- Do not let a manager expose his genitals to female employees, and force one to place her hand on his private parts.
- Do not require women to participate in a “kissing” or “smooching” club to receive the sales leads and accounts necessary to earn commissions.
- Do not fire women who reject managers’ sexual advances and complain about them.
According to the EEOC, a Memphis company failed in each of these steps. The result—a $1.5 million verdict.